The European Union has slapped sanctions targeting the leaders of the DR. Congo rebel groups including M23 as of Thursday. In regard to the war in Eastern Congo, E.U said the sanctions are meant to support the Congo authorities’ efforts to establish lasting peace and stabilize the eastern part of Congo. The restrictive measures by
The European Union has slapped sanctions targeting the leaders of the DR. Congo rebel groups including M23 as of Thursday.
In regard to the war in Eastern Congo, E.U said the sanctions are meant to support the Congo authorities’ efforts to establish lasting peace and stabilize the eastern part of Congo.
The restrictive measures by the European Union include; E.U entry Ban, Freezing of assets. E.U citizens and companies are not to make funds available to the listed persons.
List of sanctioned individuals
- Protogène Ruvugayimikore: Also known as Ruhinda or Zorro Midende, he is the leader of Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (Forces Combattantes Abacunguzi (FDLR-FOCA). Sanctioned for human rights violations and sustaining armed conflict.
- Willy Ngoma: Military spokesperson of the March 23 Movement/Congolese Revolutionary Army (M23/ARC), a non-governmental armed group operating in the eastern DRC. He is accused of commanding violence on civilians and fuelling conflict.
- William Yakutumba: Secretary-general and commander of the Coalition Nationale du Peuple pour la Souverainité du Congo (CNPSC), a coalition of the so-called Mai-Mai militias in South Kivu province of the DRC. He is the founder and leader of one of the largest militias of that coalition, the Mai-Mai Yakutumba, which also controls gold mines, fuelling smuggling and attacks on civilians.
- Alain Goetz: Belgian gold trader and owner and former director of African Gold Refinery Ltd in Uganda. Accused of illegal gold trade by controlling armed groups Mai-Mai and Raia Mutomboki and exploiting armed conflict.
- Meddie Nkalubo: ‘Mohamed Ali’ Nkalubo is leader of Ugandan terrorist group Allied Democratic Forces. Sanctioned for human rights violations including killings and abductions in eastern DRC.
- Justin Bitakwira: Also known as ‘Bihona-Hayi’, the former Congolese minister is accused of hate speech against the Banyamulenge community, fuelling armed attacks on them.
- Joseph Nganzo Olikwa Tipi: Also known as ‘Tipi Ziro Ziro’, he bears responsibility for violations by the Congolese Army (FARDC) in eastern DRC. He was commander of the 312th battalion of the 31st Main Defense Brigade of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) until January 2022.
- Désiré Londroma Ndjukpa aka Lokana Lokanza: Defense officer of the armed group, Cooperative for Development of the Congo/Union of Revolutionaries for the Defense of the Congolese People (CODECO URDPC). Accused of ethnic cleansing of the Hema community.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *